The Museum of Contemporary Art
In Belgrade was opened on October 20th 1965. However, Museum activities began as early as 1958, with the establishment of the Modern Gallery, an institution the purpose of which was to supervise the development of contemporary art in Yugoslavia. An open competition for the project of new building was announced in 1960, and architects Ivan Antić and Ivanka Raspopović won the competition. After the construction of the new building was completed, the Council of the Modern Gallery passes a new name for the institution – the Museum of Contemporary Art.
The collection of the Museum consists of 8.000 works and represents the most relevant collection of art from the Yugoslav art space, which existed from 1900 to 1991. Today, the policy of the Museum of Contemporary Art is based on the observation of contemporary art in Serbia, the Balkan region, and, as much as it is possible, in Europe and worldwide.